In 1560, on the banks of the Tikhvinka River, the foundation of a holy monastery was laid in honor of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God, Intercessor of the Russian Land and Guide of Orthodox Christians. Above the arches of the holy gates, a fragment of the inscription has been preserved: “By the grace of Christ and the favor of our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary and with that help, by the command of the Tsar and Grand Duke John Vasilyevich of All Russia, this monastery began and was established in the summer of February 7068 on the 11th day.” Solemn services on this occasion were held in the presence of the royal family in the Moscow Assumption and Novgorod St. Sophia Cathedrals. In the spring and summer of the same year, the monastery was cut down, wooden at first, but solid and spacious “in the order of great monasteries.